Saturday, April 28, 2012

Take the Good with the Bad

First the Good News...

I've finally had some time to wind down and enjoy myself a little.

After the guitar concert, it was past 9:30 PM, so I was starvin'.
We went to Denny's for a late night feast. I had blueberry pancakes w/ white chocolate chips, a strawberry milkshake, eggs, hash-browns, sausage links, amazing pot roast w/ mashed potatoes drenched in gravy, & chorizo sausage.

Then yesterday, my friend was in town from the Caribbean so we went out to Chuy's and got fully loaded nachos w/ pulled pork, salsa, y queso (all you can eat, self-serve!) Comida deluxe, hatch chicken enchiladas, chalupas, etc. Frozen margaritas w/ tequila + a shot of Grand Mariner – great combo. (I love happy hour!)

The guitar concert went really well too!  Even though about 1/5 of our Guitar I class didn't show up, those that did didn't mess up too badly.  Watch the awkward footage below.  I'm in the back row with the white cast on my foot, nearly knocked over a guitar propped up on my way off the stage (I don't even know why it was there, nobody used it throughout the entire concert...probably just to vex the one cripple, that was me).

I mis-played one wrong note B instead of G, I think, but apparently nobody noticed.  My mom said she only noticed mistakes (in other performances) when it was obvious; for instance, she said in another performance (Guitar II) this girl would mess up frequently and then giggle to herself.



This is the level of classical guitar proficiency is what I aspire to attain one day!  Really cool guitar trio inspired by the French book, Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint ExupĂ©ry:



This was the last song played (I believe by the Guitar IV class.  Who said community college didn't have amazing music programs?!).

El Cachimbo (a Chilean folk song):




Now for the Bad News...

Now it's time to cram for finals, write my reports, and start on my application essays...oh boy!

Even worse, I went to the dentist on Friday (it's been a year since I've been) and found out I have cavities and need 2 fillings!  She even said I need to start flossing since I have some bone loss (holy crap!)  That really opened my eyes.  I'm flossing everyday from now on.  The dental hygienist and dentist suggested I get Invisalign for the bottom row of teeth which aren't perfectly straight.  However, when they sent the receptionist over she said I would need both the top and bottom done since it might affect my bite if I only get the bottom row done.  Oh I forgot, they also said I grind my teeth and need to get a custom night-guard!  Yeah dental work costs a fortune in the states.  (Yay, more exorbitant medical bills!)

I'm probably just going to get the filling done somewhere else.  When I asked for them to e-mail the X-rays to me they said I need to pay $25 for that...to obtain my own X-rays, which I already paid for.  It's not surprising that the dentist there owns a Rolex watch, manicured nails, and has done extensive cosmetic surgery on her face.  I could tell she's had collagen injections in her lips and botox (her face barely moved when she talked) and probably an eye lift before the dental hygenist even told me!  When she told me I said I'm not surprised.  Apparently, the dentist has been on TV a lot apparently.  She's also Persian but her hair was nearly platinum blonde with streaks, coiffed up high (it looks weird when your eyebrows are jet black but your hair is platinum blonde).

**UPDATE (5/1/2012):  I have no cavities at all.  There's no need for any dental fillings.  I have never gotten a dental filling in my life and I plan to keep it that way!  I also do NOT have bone loss.  Another dentist looked at my X-rays and says the bone level is more than good and she drew where older patients bones would show up usually.  I'm also not getting a night-guard because that was just a phase and I haven't have an issue with grinding teeth in years.


The one good thing that came out of this is that I learned to always seek a second opinion. Also, this close call made me realize the importance of flossing (I never used to floss before).  


Enough about your Dental Issues, What About Your Dang Foot?

Not much news now.  My doc is still vacationing in Italy and France.  I was supposed to meet him on the 8th of May but then I realized that's the day before my ACS comprehensive Organic Chemistry (I and II) final exam!  So I rescheduled and I'm seeing him on the 13th now.  I'm getting my cast changed then.  I'm going to ask how long I have to wear the NEW cast for and when I can start wearing a boot.  Most importantly, I'd like to know when I can start physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment